Want Operate a Private Hire Service in NZ – We help you through the process!
To provide private hire services in New Zealand you are required to hold a Passenger Service Licence and a P Endorsement. There are also a number of components to complete this endorsement and licence requirements as set down by NZTA.
You do not need to meet the requirements of Taxi Area Knowledge to operate a Private Hire Service.
What do I need to become a Private Hire Driver?
- Private Hire Course – register with AMS Group including the P Endorsement Course
- P Endorsement on your drivers licence from NZTA
- A Passenger Service Licence from NZTA
- Pass a Knowledge of Law and Practice Exam with ASL
Important – start this process as soon as possible as it can take 6-8 weeks.
- Enrol in the Private Hire Course at AMS Group this includes a P Endorsement and a 1 Hour Full Licence Test lesson with an instructor
- Collect all relevant documents and study material from AMS Group (provided on course payment).
- Make an appointment with your doctor to complete a medical certificate
- Apply for and sit the ASL Knowledge of Law and Practice exam. – $155.00 (incl. GST)*
- Apply for a Passenger Service Licence with NZTA – $449.80 (incl. GST)*
- Apply for a P Endorsement on your licence from $171.70*
- You will need a Full Class 1 Licence, proof of residence and a Medical Certificate
- Full Licence Test – this is booked at the time you lodge your application and is included with your P endorsement application
- Send your application to NZTA
* Third party costs, while every effort is made to update these costs regularly, these are subject to change and you will need to check with the providers.
It takes approximately 8 weeks, from time of lodging of an application with NZTA. There are no short cuts, so it is very important to get this under way as soon as possible. We provide you with the right tools, information and advice to ensure that you are able to progress your application as quickly as possible to get you on the road as a Private Hire Service Driver.
2 days – 6 hours per day. This can be over 2 consecutive days or we can split this into two different days to suit your schedule. The parts include:
- P Endorsement Theory
- Fatigue Management, Work Time Rule and Log Book
- Book a pre-test lesson – 1hr
Must hold a minimum of a full Class 1 New Zealand licence for at least 2 years.
$702.50 (Including GST)
Price shown includes P Endorsement course and a 1 hour pre-test lesson, booked with a AMS Group contracted instructor. Please note that if you have sat your Full Licence Test in the last 5 years, you will not be required to resit the test or the lesson and the cost of the course will be reduced to $632.50
Please note that the P Endorsement application cost with NZTA will also be reduced, as you will not need to resit the full licence test.
Scheduled Course Locations
Please note that courses are available at a number of AMS Group branch locations, these are listed below. If there are no course locations shown below, courses can be arranged to be delivered at your place of work. Contact us to find out more about our on-site training options available for this course or enquire below.