National Certificate in Goods Service: Heavy Combination Vehicle (Level 3)
- Are you serious about a career as a heavy vehicle driver?
- Do you hold a Class 5 Truck Licence but need more practical experience?
- Do you want to hold a National Certificate qualification to improve your career options?
- Do you want to work for New Zealand’s top companies?
AMS Group’s new National Certificate programme has been developed to address the significant demand for experienced Class 5 drivers from employers across the country. In consolation with industry, AMS Group has been developing a professional driver programme that delivers real on the job experience in the cab and in the classroom with best industry based trainers.
There is nothing else like this course in New Zealand. There are limited numbers and pre-requisites.
In-Cab Training with the best Industry Trainers
Creating A Better Class Driver
We want to create the best so you will be trained by the best.
Each week will include scheduled classroom time and 1 day per week in the cab of the AMS Group owned Class 5 truck, on a designated run, delivering real loads to real customers.
The AMS Group Commitment
AMS Group is committed to creating a better class of driver on NZ roads and this includes Class 5 Heavy Vehicle. AMS Group is also committed to connecting Professional Driver Programme students with employers. Some employers may even be sponsoring the course you are on. This means that the trainers, who have industry credibility, become your referees and mentors.
This is a 4 week, full-time programme.
All material is contextualised to the training required to perform the tasks required of a Class 5 Career Driver. To create the best of the best, this means that even if you hold a standard or an endorsement in the programme, chances are you have not done this is relation to your career path.
The course consists of:
- Approximately 2,400km or more in-cab (4 full driving days with the driver trainer in cab)
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Fuel efficient driving
- Different gearboxes
- Hazard identification and risk reduction techniques
- Dangerous Goods
- Loading and unloading a heavy vehicle
More course content details will be available on application.
The entry criteria is tough, because we stake our reputation on it!
This course is for those looking for real opportunity with real employers. You are going to be spending a significant amount of time in-cab with the trainers on real routes. With only five (5)places per intake we have to be selective. There are a number of pre-requisites.
You must have the following:
- A Class 5 Truck Licence*
- Interview with the course manager or driver trainer
- Pass a pre-arranged in-cab assessment
- Pass a drug test – you will driving heavy vehicles on the job
* If you do not have a Class 5 truck licence you can still apply to the programme, but will not be accepted into an intake unless you hold a Class 5 licence. If you have your class 5 truck licence from AMS Group a number of the pre requisites may be reduced.
$2,000.00 + GST
For students that choose an AMS Group – Employer offer, rebates may be available on some of the course fee. Please note that the actual cost of the delivery of the course is subsidised with the commercial loads.
Apply now – limited spaces!
There are only five (5) students per intake. Contact us for an application form.
The first course is based out of our Tauranga/Mt Maunganui training facility, based on the contracted loads. If you are not based in the Bay of Plenty but are interested in the course, talk to us as attendance may be possible if you are based in either Hamilton or Auckland. We are looking to make this programme available in other regions.
Please note that this is not currently available on the course schedule.
Employers: if you are interested in programme graduates or sponsoring a programme intake, please contact Kevin Wall.
Scheduled Course Locations
Please note that courses are available at a number of AMS Group branch locations, these are listed below. If there are no course locations shown below, courses can be arranged to be delivered at your place of work. Contact us to find out more about our on-site training options available for this course or enquire below.